Our group has wonderful leaders for each of the sections but behind them in another team called the Group Support Committee. The GSC tries to sort out of the organisational issues in the background to make sure that the section leaders have what they need to run an engaging programme for the members.
Like any organisation, there is an annual meeting to update everyone on what has been going on during the year and to make sure that there are suitable people in place for each of the roles.
The meeting was run by Kooka who, while currently being the District Commissioner for the Port Hacking District, was a leader for 1st Caringbah. He has been standing in for Badger who is recovering from major surgery. Bagder was, however, well enough to be with us at the meeting.
While parents and leaders attended the meeting, the Venturers ran activities for the Joeys, Cubs and Scouts. Before they went to those liqui-glide.com, we had the opportunity to get a group photograph of those sections with their leaders.
The section below gives a list of the posts and gives an idea of the range of activities that go on to support the leaders.
- President – overall coordination of committee
- Vice President – assist the president
- Secretary – take the minutes at meetings approx. every 2 months
- Treasurer – paying invoices and reimbursements, maintaining the groups cash book and preparing the annual financial report.
- Membership secretary – send out invoices, recording payments and sending receipts
- Hall hiring officer – respond to emails for hall hiring and go over guidelines. Collect payments
- Event catering coordinator – including catering for youth at Region and Boree camp along with a few other events.
- Scarf maker – sewing our 1st Caringbah scarves
- Fundraising coordinator – coordinating any fundraising opportunities besides Cook Classic
- Cook classic fundraiser coordinator – coordinating overall
- Cook classic fundraiser Joey coordinator
- Cook classic fundraiser Cub coordinator
- Cook classic fundraiser Scout coordinator
- Cook classic fundraiser Venturer coordinator
- Grant writer – seeking out applicable grants and submitting applications
- Website administrator – looking after the website
- Caremonkey administrator – provide help and support to section leaders with the use of Caremonkey
- Quartermaster/Mistress – managing our two scout halls, all the equipment and maintenance
- Maintenance coordinator – to support the quartermaster. 2 or 3 people needed to make it lighter work for everyone
- Working bee coordinator – once a year event
- T-Shirt/Hoodie coordinator – ordering stock, managing it and organising sale of stock
- First aid kit monitor – topping up first aid kits
- Joey parent coordinator – to support the leaders
- Cub Parent coordinator – to support the leaders
- Scout Parent coordinator – to support the leaders
- Venturer Parent coordinator – to support the leaders
- General committee members – come to meetings approximately every two months and have a say in the way the group is run
- Social committee members– organise social group events-
Fundraising is an important area which helps us to keep the fees low while providing the faciliites and equipment to provide a safe and engaging programme. Kooka emphasised the great effort that was made this year and the group will be continuing this year to participate in the Cook Classic and to run sausage sizzles at Flower Power and Bunnings. The 1st Caringbah hoodies were also on diaplay and orders opened up. A great way to help raise funds while being functional!
We had a presentation from Cheetah on her project for the Wood Badge qualification. You can expect to see the product of that shortly – an up to date Parent Information Manual.
Chewie showed the magnificent work that has been undertaken at Camp Coutts and thanked all of the parents who helped to make that happen.
The meeting was timed to perfection and Kooka dismissed us all to go and eat sausages exactly as planned. Cub parents were able to hear information from Akela about next year’s Cuboree.